A sublime Sone Aluko volley gave Hull City all three points in a thrilling 3-2 win against Newcastle at St James’ Park.

Newcastle went into the fixture looking for their third straight win in the league having beaten Aston Villa and Fulham in previous weeks. Hull on the other hand looked to pick up more points after their 1-1 draw with Cardiff City at the KC Stadium.

Alan Pardew named an unchanged starting eleven from the one that beat Aston Villa 2-1 whilst Steve Bruce wasn’t afforded the same luxury. Hull had been dealt a few injury blows mid-week after the news of captain Robert Koren being ruled out for 4-6 weeks. Joe Dudgeon and Paul McShane were also unable to play having picked up knocks, with Maynor Figueroa missing on compassionate grounds. Coming into the starting eleven for the Tigers was Stephen Quinn and Liam Rosenior.

Newcastle United: Krul – Santon – Coloccini – Yanga-M’Biwa – Debuchy – Sissoko – Cabaye – Anita – Ben Arfa – Cisse – Remy

Subs: Elliott – Williamson – Dummett – Marveaux – Tiote – Gouffran – Sa Ameobi

Hull City: McGregor – Rosenior – Chester – Davies – Elmohamady – Brady – Huddlestone – Livermore – Quinn – Graham – Aluko

Subs: Harper – Bruce – Faye – Meyler – Boyd – Sagbo – Proschwitz

The hosts got off to the better start and starting passing the ball around with ease with Yohan Cabaye linking up well with Hatem Ben Arfa and Loic Remy.

The Magpies took the lead in the 10th minute when a deep cross from the right flank found Cisse who fluffed a shot into the ground only for summer signing Remy to head home.

Hull then nearly got back on level terms after a Robbie Brady cross found Danny Graham whose header was superbly saved by Tim Krul. But this would only delay the inevitable as City started settling into the game and looked to exploit Newcastle’s less than convincing back four.

Quinn then collected the ball and played a pass into Aluko just outside the box who threaded a good through ball to an advancing unmarked Brady who collected and drilled a low shot past Krul.

The goal seemed to galvanise Hull who looked dangerous with possession with the lively Aluko the main beneficiary of time on the ball.

Tom Huddlestone then played a ball over the top of the Toon defensive with Graham the onrushing man however a poor first touch let the striker down and Coloccini recovered to clear the danger.

Somewhat against the run of play Newcastle took the lead in fortuitous circumstances just before the half-time interval.

A Cabaye shot from 27 yards left McGregor diving to his right but the ball was blocked by James Chester straight into the path of Remy, who to his credit, finished well past the helpless goalkeeper.

The Tigers didn’t sit back and feel sorry for themselves and came out fighting in the second-half and were level three minutes after the restart.

A cheap foul on Aluko by Vernon Anita near the left touchline gifted the visitors an early chance to swing a ball into the box. Brady swing in an inviting ball which saw Ahmed Elmohamady rise highest to flick on hitting the post and nestling in the back of the net.

Back on level terms City pushed for that decisive third goal and Graham was again guilty of missing a chance when he scuffed his shot wide.

Any attack Newcastle built was being defended brilliantly by the back Hull City four with Chester and stand-in captain Curtis Davies both having solid games. Liam Rosenior was also doing a fine job of man marking the influential Toon winger Ben Arfa and deserves credit considering he was a right-back playing on the other flank.

George Boyd was introduced for the tiring Quinn and made a telling impact on the game. Rosenior broke with the ball and ran towards the left wing all the while Boyd was making the overlapping run. Rosenior fed Boyd who curled back a cross to Aluko who had evaded his marker on the edge of the box and executed a sensational first time volley which flew past Krul putting the away side 3-2 up.

With the home crowd now getting on the backs of the players Newcastle threw everything they had at the Tigers but the defence held firm.

Heading into injury-time Remy had a glorious chance to complete his hat-trick and rescue a point for the Magpies but his effort went wide.

But it was Hull who held on for a memorable win and in truth they deserved all three points in an entertaining game. To come back twice from a goal down and to collect all three points really is testimony to the character the side showed. The only downside of the win was that Chester picked up a hamstring injury which may rule him out for over a month.

Published on September 21 2013 for KingFut.com


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s