Tom Huddlestone missed a second-half penalty to see Hull City draw 0-0 with AS Trencin on their European debut.

Having qualified for the Europa League after reaching the FA Cup final last season, the Tigers faced a stern Slovakian side at the Stadion Pod Dubnom.

Hull boss Steve Bruce, who was celebrating his 100th game in charge at the club, had a number of injury concerns ahead of the match.

Robbie Brady, although featuring in the pre-season friendlies, didn’t fly to Slovakia due to tonsillitis. However goalkeeper Allan McGregor, Curtis Davies and David Meyler all allayed fitness doubts to start the fixture.

New signings Tom Ince and Robert Snodgrass had to settle for a place on the substitute’s bench.

AS Trencin: Volesak, Klescik, Ramon, Cogley, Rundic, Lobotka, Misak, Hajradinovic, Kubik, Simon, Holubek

Subs: Semrinec, Skovajsa, Baris, Malec, Madu, Mondek, Opatovsky

Hull City: McGregor, Davies, Bruce, Chester, Elmohamady, Rosenior, Huddlestone, Meyler, Livermore, Aluko, Long

Subs: Harper, McShane, Snodgrass, Boyd, Ince, Sagbo, Jelavic

The early chances went the way of the travelling Premier League side with Meyler and Sone Aluko both having headed effort go wide.

The game grew to one of frustration for the Tigers with the side lacking real bite in front of goal. The 28th minute saw Liam Rosenior swing in a superb cross which Shane Long couldn’t direct on target.

Haris Hajradinovic tested McGregor in the Hull goal just before half-time but the Scottish international keeper was equal to the attempt.

Patrik Misak was looking a threat for the Trencin and Tom Huddlestone had to time his tackle to perfection to prevent a shot on goal.

Shortly after Huddlestone collected a yellow card, Misak was inches away from finding the back of the net with a long-range effort flying past the post.

The golden opportunity of the game came in the 60th minute when Hull were awarded a penalty after Long was brought down inside the box. Up stepped Huddlestone whose spot-kick was saved by Volesak to his left before the midfielder somehow missed the rebound shaving the crossbar with the goal at his mercy.

Summer signings Snodgrass and Ince were introduced at the expense of Meyler and Aluko to add injection into the Tigers attack. The former Norwich man failed to get his free-kick on target hitting the wall in the 72nd minute.

The game petered out with Davies and Livermore both being shown yellow cards before Trencin sub Tomas Malec blazed a volley over the crossbar from 12 yards.

The return leg at the KC Stadium will be played on Thursday 7 August with the game finely poised.

Published on July 31 2014 for KingFut.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s