Super 8s round 7 review

St Helens 16-32 Warrington Wolves

Reigning Super League champions St Helens had their hopes of lifting the League Leaders’ Shield dashed at the hands of Warrington Wolves as they were beaten 32-16 at Langtree Park.

The loss for Saints means they now finished the season in fourth spot and face an away match in the Semi-Finals. For Wire it was a send-off to remember for a number of departing players and secured their first win in four derby meetings in 2015.

Kevin Penny had the first of his four disallowed tries as early as the 2nd minute. Chris Sandow put up a high bomb which bounced awkwardly allowing Penny to ground only for it to be chalked off after a push on Mark Percival.

After an early scare it was Saints who got the first points of the clash when Joe Greenwood crashed his way over from a Luke Walsh pass with the latter adding the conversion for a 6-0 lead.

Warrington responded through youngster Jack Johnson who took Stefan Ratchford’s inside ball for his third try of the campaign – with Sandow levelling the game at 6-6.

Two unconverted tries from Joel Monaghan and Chris Hill saw Wire head into the break 14-6 to the good but the game could still have gone either way.

Warrington extended their lead through Ryan Atkins after Atelea Vea had gifted possession to his opponents.

This sparked the hosts into life and scored two tries with another Penny disallowed try sandwiched in between. First Adam Swift gathered Jon Wilkin’s kick and the deficit was cut to just four points when substitute Mark Flanagan forced his way over.

Penny didn’t have luck on his side and had another try ruled out making it four disallowed on the night.

Ben Westwood offloaded allowing the departing Roy Asotasi a goodbye try before Kevin Penny rounded off the win finally getting on the scoresheet with the last play of the game.

Wigan Warriors 47-12 Castleford Tigers

Wigan Warriors missed out on the League Leaders’ Shield despite a resounding victory over Castleford Tigers in which Dom Manfredi scored four tries.

Despite beating Cas 47-12 all eyes turned to the game between Huddersfield Giants and Leeds Rhinos but the late showing meant for a subdued ending at the DW Stadium.

Wigan raced into a 10-0 lead with only seven minutes on the clock when both the returning Manfredi and Matty Bowen scored.

The visitors pegged the home side back throwing Wigan’s pursuit of top spot in doubt when they took the lead after tries from Luke Dorn and Junior Moors for a 12-10 half-time advantage.

After the break it was one way traffic as Wigan romped home for the two points with an impressive second-half showing. Manfredi grabbed his brace after a relieving penalty allowed Joe Burgess to send his partner over in the corner.

The away sides’ cause wasn’t helped when they were reduced to 12 men after Denny Solomana was sin-binned for lying on in the tackle.

The Warriors made their numerical advantage pay and the extended their lead when Bowen and Burgess combined brilliantly allowing Manfredi to complete his hat-trick. Just after the hour and Manfredi grabbed his fourth when he grounded a neat George Williams kick.

Matty Smith kicked a drop-goal before further tries from Oliver Gildart, Burgess and Larne Patrick rounded off the convincing victory setting up a home game against Huddersfield in the Semis.

Huddersfield Giants 16-20 Leeds Rhinos

Ryan Hall scored a last minute try to secure Leeds Rhinos the League Leaders’ Shield in the most dramatic of circumstances at Huddersfield.

Headed into the game on the back of three back-to-back defeats you can forgive Leeds for their nerves but they knew they had to beat the Giants with Wigan entertaining Castleford on the same night.

Huddersfield meanwhile were on the back of five consecutive wins and will feel hard done by with the nature of the defeat.

Stevie Ward put Leeds ahead after nine minutes but straight from the restart Ryan Hall fumbled the ball gifting field position to the home side. The Giants duly took advantage of their attacking ground and Jermaine McGillvary dived over in the corner for his 27th try of the season.

Kevin Sinfield edged Leeds ahead with a 40-metre penalty for a slender 8-6 advantage going into the interval.

Huddersfield thought they had regained the lead when Luke Robinson dived over after Zak Hardaker had dropped Hall’s poor pass. The try was ruled out with Robinson losing possession diving over the line with the travelling support breathing a collective sigh of relief.

Brough restored parity with a penalty in the 48th minute before Danny McGuire had a try of his own disallowed.

Huddersfield then piled on the pressure and after a defensive mix up a high bomb dropped to Leroy Cudjoe who passing inside to Jamie Ellis who raced in under the sticks –with Brough kicking the extras.

The home side extended their advantage when Brough kicked another penalty to open up an eight point lead but there was still time for late drama when Tom Briscoe gave Leeds hope sliding in the corner to come within two points.

A silly shoulder charge from Craig Kopczak allowed Sinfield to tie the game with two minutes left on the clock.

With seconds remaining Hall gathered McGuire’s kick which Scott Grix didn’t deal with allowing him to streak away for the match-winning try and thus winning Leeds the League Leaders’ Shield to boot sparking wild scenes on the pitch and away stand.

Hull FC 24-28 Catalans Dragons

Tom Lineham scored four tries in vein as Hull FC succumbed to a 28-24 defeat at the KC Stadium against Catalans Dragons.

The win for the French side is only their second of the season and ensures Hull finish the season bottom of the Super 8s ladder.

The away side, whose other away win came against Wakefield, opened up an early lead when poor defence allowed Benjamin Garcia to dive over from dummy-half before Ian Henderson scored a carbon-copy five minutes later.

One time Black and White target, Krisnan Inu then showed his former suitors what they were missing when he touched down with Catalans establishing a 16-0 lead, which turned into 20 when the NRL-bound Elliott Whitehead profited from Lineham’s wayward offload.

Lineham made amends with the first of his four after good hands from Jack Logan before Jordan Abdull scored a fine individual try before the interval.

Curtis Naughton touched down Kirk Yeaman’s neat grubber kick to get Hull right back in the game and Lineham grabbed his second when he barged over shrugging off the defensive efforts of Morgan Escare.

Catalans did register a try in the second-half when a Jordan Rankin error allowed Thomas Bosc to run in unchallenged from his own half with Scott Dureau’s conversion opening up a ten point cushion.

Dureau added a penalty to make it 28-16 and a further two Lineham tries taking his tally for the game to four brought the game close but Hull inability to convert any of their six tries was their undoing.

Published on September 29 2015 for Rugby AM.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s